IMPORTANT UPDATE: THE PARTICIPATION FEE INCLUDES ACCOMMODATION FOR THE PARTICIPANTS
thanks to HI SKOPJE HOSTEL.
download the INFO BROCHURE SKOPJE SCH2014
view the INFO BROCHURE SCH2014/SKOPJE
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS:
City Creative Network is an international organization of young professionals from various creative disciplines based in Skopje. We propagate critical and innovative approach to urbanity. Our main aim is developing strategic concepts for activating public spaces which offer a frame for free expression, together with the citizens. CCN is also an educational center with public database. Our network is a place where young professionals meet>collaborate>create>act.
AIM AND INSPIRATION FOR THIS EVENT
Establishing a collaboration between local and international professionals and students from various creative disciplines. Addressing contemporary city issues by developing relevant, applicable and strategic research and design proposals. Possibility for direct collaboration with eminent professionals from the region and Europe. Develop new content in public space grounded in the specificities of the city. Raising the awareness of the citizens for their importance and role in the planning and development of the city.
TARGET GROUP, THEIR WORK AND BENEFITS
Students from various creative disciplines that are willing to work ambitiously and act directly on the city. Guided by tutors, the students will conduct research, design and construct physical interventions in the city-space and join a series of discussions. They will be divided in 5 groups some of which will develop and build installations and others will do research, mapping, exhibitions and discussions. The 5 groups are:
1. Constructing a Stage - this group will design and build an open-wooden stage along the river Vardar. Prior to this, they will take a close look at the local ways of constructing with wood and get training from local craftsman.
2. The Bicycle Urbanism Unit in Skopje - test and build public infrastructure for bicycles on one street segment in Debar Maalo.
3. Rethinking Skopje: Identifying Urban Tools - The students of this group will map spaces of potential in the city by taking a closer look at the various social groups, ethnicities, age groups etc. and create a web-platform with the results.
4. Public Playgrounds - that activate the free open space around the city center and promote free expression. They will use various materials: paint, wood, metal, plastic, glass etc.
5. For- and From-the City: Instructional Graphic Design - The tutors will instruct the students on how to extract and work with information from the city and create powerful visual material.
In the period of 29 August until 7 September the students of the 5 groups will work on: mapping, research, design, construction and test the urban interventions.
Along the invaluable experience and direct acting on the cityspace, the students will have the opportunity to establish direct contact and get feedback from eminent professionals, professors and tutors from high profile universities around Europe.
WHAT DOES THE PARTICIPATION FEE COVER?
1. Materials for work - new and reused: wood, plastic, glass, metal, cardboard, paper etc.
2. Tools for work - anything from pencils to drillers and electric saws.
3. Working space - workshops in the Youth Cultural Center Skopje - MKC
4. Technical support - How to use tools and how to work with various materials - collaboration with craftsmen and support for the use of laser cutters, CNC machines etc.
5. Design critiques with international guests, professors, assistants and activists.
6. T-Shirts, certificates for participation, brochures, post-cards, stickers etc.
7. THE PARTICIPATION FEE INCLUDES ACCOMODATION FOR THE PARTICIPANTS
ACTIVITIES (WORKSHOPS; DISCUSSIONS; PARALLEL PROGRAM)
1. 29Aug - gathering and introduction
2. 29Aug - introduction to SCH2014 and CCN
3. 30Aug - Introduction to the methods and techniques with the tutors that will lead the groups
4. 30Aug - Excursion around Skopje and introduction to the specificities of the city
5. 30Aug-7Sep - from 10:00 until 18:00 - Work in groups on the planning and building of the urban interventions.
6. 30Aug-7Sep - from 20:00 until 22:00 - Public debates and discussions with guests.
7. 30Aug-7Sep - Nighttime in the city - DJ’s, concerts, theater plays, exhibitions etc.
8. 30Aug-7Sep - Parallel program of SCH2014 - performances, one-day actions, exhibitions, concerts, theater plays, local NGO presentations etc.
9. 7Sep - Opening of the interventions, the web-platform and presentation of the results from the groups
10. 7Sep - Closing event
1. Building objects in public space - urban interventions
2. High-quality printed publication in October 2014 with the results from the group-work.
3. Interactive web-platform, publicly accessible with all results from the workshop.
4. Presentation of SCH2014 at BIO50 - one of the oldest biennials of industrial design - in Ljubljana, October 2014.
5. Continuation of the collaboration with Ensemble on the construction of the stage in October/November in Skopje.